Recently I took a friend with me on one of my regular "treasure hunts" to some local antique and second hand stores and we found this:
We both loved it and, at $55, the price was right. I encouraged my friend to ditch her leather ottoman in favour of this trunk. Her response was less than enthousiatic. She threw at me a bunch of practical reasons why she didn't want to get rid of her current piece: that the trunk wasn't tall enough, that she didn't know how to make it work...that it smelled like mothballs. People, my friend lives in a charming character home in a beautiful area of the city with mature trees and historical neighbourhoods...this piece would have been perfect for her! Oh well, ya snooze, ya loose!
I brought this home, cleaned it up (which was no easy task, I assure you), vacuumed it out and Kilz'd and painted the inside to rid it of the eau de mothball.
I needed to make this piece a bit taller and easier to maneuver so I decided to add casters. I got those awesome walnut casters from CoolCasters.com. Doneski!
Cost breakdown for this project:
$55 for the trunk
$0 for Kilz
$0 for paint
$88 for casters
Total cost $143
2 comments:
I am so excited I saw this post. I have a trunk just like that that was my husbands grandfathers. I just stole it because nobody wanted it. I didn't know what to do with it because it was to short for a coffee table. Now I know, how cool is that. I love it.
Thanks so much for sharing that.
Brooke
Love that. I have a trunk in the garage I got to makeover. Nice.
Post a Comment