Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I hate(ed) these chairs

Mr. Mel and I, in all of our youthful wisdom, bought this table and chair set twelve-ish years ago when we moved in together. At the time, it was quite the stylish set, let me tell you! Now...not so  much. The thing is, I pretty much regretted this purchase the first time we used it. The chairs are not the most comfortable, the table frame is designed in such a way that it touches the top of your legs when seated at the table, and don't *even* get me started on the impracticality of a glass-topped kitchen table!


Soon, the cats started using the chairs as a jungle gym. They would climb up the backs and soon there were awful scratches on them from their claws. The seats got dirty and stained from my darling nephews. And the glass got scratched from everyday use.

When we moved into the new house, we brought the set with us. I figured we could always use it in the basement, if not, we'd sell it.

I have decided to do neither. I have decided that these chairs are just what I needed to use in our bonus room at our game/activity table that currently has just one sad chair at it! I figured I have nothing to lose, since I already hated them, how much worse could it get?! Let me say for the record that Mr.Mel wanted no part of this project. He was sure it was going to go horribly horribly wrong.

I removed the seats and then sanded, primed, and painted the chairs with Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Apple Green (eeeek, I don't think I'd use this brand again...so much overspray and lots of wasted paint!).


Now for the seats. I found an awwwwwwe-some deal on fabric that was exactly what I was looking for (when does that ever happen?!). This stuff was regularily priced at $23/yd, on clearance for $3/yd...and with my discount card I got it for $1.50/yd!!! Can you imagine?!

I didn't bother pulling the old fabric off...too lazy. I measured the seats, and cut the fabric about 4 inches larger than that measurement. I used an elecric staple gun to attach it, then trimmed the excess.

 
 
 

Awww, now I love these chairs! And my little Butter loves them too! I can't wait to show you what else I have been busy with in the bonus room!



Cost breakdown for this project:
$13 for fabric (I still have a ton of this leftover)
$0 for the chairs
$6 for paint
$0 for primer
Total cost  = $18

1 comment:

MandeeFoFandee said...

FYI, these chairs would look amazing in my kitchen! and so would Butter! :)