Mr. Mel and I are not "deck people". We definitely want a paved patio of some kind. Inside the house, I am all about the 90 degree angle. Outside, however, I want things to be a little more fluid and freeform.
We also really want some kind of a fire pit/fireplace. Right now we have a propane fueled "fire pit" which worked really well in our condo but I want something more substantial for the yard.
I have always wanted a pergola. They are great for providing shade and privacy, even moreso if you are lucky enough to have it covered with vines.
Mr. Mel would absolutely love it if we could accomodate a man shack for his weekly poker games, cigar smoking, and nerd games (think Dungeons and Dragons...yeesh). My answer to this has always been "no way", but I am actually hoping to have this done as a surprise to him. Am I not the bestest wifey ever?! I am leaning towards a prefab pool cabana instead of building something from a plan.
I am not a big fan of hot tubs. A good friend of mine likens it to making "people stew"...gross. I would be happy with a small tub, for no more than 4 people. Mr. Mel wants the 12 seater with the retractable t.v. and surround sound! Good lord! While I may lose this battle, I am adamant that the tub be, at least partially, below grade. Am I the only one who thinks these things are ridiculously ugly?! Am I?!

Here are a couple of images that caught my eye...they look like the perfect places to relax.
And a few front yards that I liked. We really would like to have a raised planter in the front of the house, sod, and maybe a small stacked stone wall at the front near the road. Our development will not have sidewalks, instead there will be a small culvert between the yard and the road, so I'd like something to define our front yard space.
Thankfully, I have an appointment next week with a landscape architect to put some of these *many* ideas into a cohesive plan. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!





















2 comments:
Okay, I love the first picture! I have a tonne of big, flat stones lying around (who doesn't?) and have been wanting to do something similar to that. Was all set to do it in the backyard but my pine tree drops too many darn needles. Maybe the front?
I also love this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GLB4TkGREco/S9cF67K_bEI/AAAAAAAABEc/iYQHdMapr94/s1600/fiamma.jpg and can't wait to come over! But please don't get a 12 seater hot tub. It's a hot tub, not a swimming pool and I'm with you... ick. As for the pool cabana, as having worked at a place who makes the regulations for property taxes... you may want someone come out and give you tips and tricks... if it's a certain size or quality your taxes will go up big time. Something to consider, perhaps? Although if the cabana comes with a pool boy, heck... I'll pitch in for the taxes ;)
Can't wait to see the finished product. You're such a tease, can't you do the yard this year?!?
lol I am glad you are are so excited. I will count on that excitement when I hit your up to perform manual labour at my house!
As for the taxes, I am one step ahead of you! We looked into it before we bought the lot. We will be a-ok as long as we don't install plumbing. Then it becomes a secondary dwelling and that means $$$ for taxes. We are allowed to build it as large as 20x20 before we violate the local bylaws. I am still ahead of the game as long as I am careful about the finishes/fixtures I use. I'm so clever! lol
Post a Comment