I picked up this faaaaabulous antique drop leaf table from a little old lady who was relocating to an assisted living facility. She was a tough old bird, but I played hardball and got a pretty good deal.
Thing is, she made me promise not to paint it. No problemo! I'll do her one better...I'll refinish it! It definitely needed some tlc. I gave it a good scrubbing with T.S.P. to get the gramma germs off, and sanded the entire table. Thank goodness it's now warm enough to work in the garage, I wouldn't want to do this in my basement.
I decided not to do too much repair work on this piece, I like the knicks and dings, it gives it character. I did, however, fill a couple of deep dents and replace some crumbing pieces of trim around the apron.
I gave the entire table a coat of Varethane Gel Stain in Special Walnut (this stuff dries in 6 hours - hella good), and 2 coats of Varethane, followed by a coat of finishing wax.
This table took me very little time to do, actually. And I am pumped at the result!
Here's the cst breakdown for this project:
$100 for the table
$13 for stain
$0 for Varethane
$0 for wax
$3 for T.S.P.
$4 for trim
Total cost = $120

3 comments:
Just found your site! Looks like you have some great ideas...and talent, too! The table looks great! ~mary~
Came over from "In the Fun Lane". I can see you have learnt a lot from the gorgeous Holly over there!! Did your mother not tell you "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything ay all"? Obviously not !!! Potty mouth? You can say that again.
Dearest Felicity...you know not of what you speak, hun. I appreciate your loyalty to Holly (who I agree is a gem) but what she does is nothing new, and her talents are the same that many of us also possess! Thanks for the 2 cents, though.
Post a Comment