Monday, April 19, 2010

Farmer Mel Part 1

A while back, I posted about my desire for a farmhouse table for my kitchen. As hard as I searched, I wasn't able to find anything for less than $1100. That just wasn't in the cards, Mr. Mel would flip, absolutely flip.

I decided there must be a way to build something similar for much less money. I just had to get creative.

First, I looked online for a table plan that was the style I wanted and that I had the tools to build. Unfortunately, most of what I found required complicated and expensive tools and advanced woodworking techniques that were way out of my league. Here are just a few of the inspiration photos I collected:


I figured I'd do the next best thing to buying one...I decided to wing it!

Here's the plan that I drew up as a guide. I say 'guide' because I ended up fiddling with it a tad as I went along:


I built this table out of frame grade lumber, because this has a rough quality to it that I was looking for (and it's considerably cheaper than other lumber). Note: I pre-drilled all of my screw holes and used carpenter's glue on all of my joins.

My finished table is 72" x 36 3/4" x 30"

To build this table, you will need:
  • 4 = 3x3 or 4x4 square table legs/newel posts/spindles
  • 3 = 2x4
  • 7 = 1x6 (fence boards)
  • Wood screws (I used deck screws cause I had a bunch on hand)
  • Wood putty
  • Wood Glue
  • Countersink drill bit
  • Speed square
  • Measure tape
  • Mitre saw (or hand saw and mitre box)
  • Circular saw (or hand saw)
Please forgive my dirty, dirty, shamefully dirty garage. It's spring here and that = mud!

Now to the table. I started with the apron. A simple 66" x 32 1/4" rectangle, with mitred corners.


In order to stabilize the table, and to have a surface to attach your table top planks to, install 2x4s evenly along the apron.


I cut the spindles down to 29 1/4" and screwed them into the corners from the outside of the apron. Instead of paying $50/each for furniture/table legs, I opted to buy pressure treated deck spindles. They are a mere fraction of the cost and, since they are being painted, I didn't care that they weren't oak.


At this point you can elect to install corner braces to keep the table square. I decided not to because my apron is pretty small and, honestly, was already really solid. Annnnnnd, no project would be complete without a busted nail...owch!


Next up, the table top! This is super easy. I cut down my 1x6 fence boards to 72". I screwed them into the frame and braces from the top, making sure to maintain a 3" overhang at each end and a 2 1/4" overhang on the sides. I used glue and 1 screw for each board on each brace...does that makes sense? Here's what I mean:


Fill and sand any holes you've made on the top with stainable wood filler, and regular wood filler on the holes in the apron. Now you're ready to finish your table!


Take a peak at Part 2 of this project later this week...

3 comments:

Melissa @ Veranda Interiors said...

OMG...sooooo excited to see the next phase! You amaze me with your DIY skills, fantastic job! :)

MandeeFoFandee said...

girl, you are an m-effing rockstar! the table looks amazing... and those big chunky legs are SO sexy! can't wait to see phase 2!

Gilsner said...

Not gonna lie... the photo of your finger made me puke in my mouth a little bit. Yuk!!