Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Plates, everywhere!

So, one of the most frustrating things about trying to inject a little personality into our home is that Mr. Mel wants no part of it! Mr. Mel lives in a world totally unfamiliar to me. Where he lives it's ok for every piece of furniture to be mass manufactured and come from a big box store, it's perfectly acceptable for every wall in the house to be beige, there's nothing wrong with having absolutely no artwork or decoration hanging on the walls, and the very thought of adding sparkle or pizzazz strikes fear into his heart!

This, people, is what I am up against.

I am tired (after only 3 months) of living in this big, bland box! I must start to Mel-ify it, for my own sanity.  Another great motivator? My sister is getting married next summer and - as I was planning on hosting a shower at my home when the day came - it has put me in a bit of a time crunch to get the house looking presentable for her big day.

The first room I am going to tackle is our formal dining room. It's painted a lovely shade of green, Benjamin Moore's Limesickle, and really only needs some very basic elements to make it really spiffy.

One of the things I’d love to incorporate into this room is a plate collage. I love the character of china, and also have a rather large collection of Royal Albert teacups and saucers, and I figured that a great way to showcase them would be to hang them on the wall! I found some amazing examples online and I am now convinced that this is the project for me.

Take a gander at some of the amazing inspirations I found as well as super helpful tutorials from Antique Plate World and Nest Obsessed!




Credits:
Design Cracker...check out her blog here


2 comments:

Gilsner said...

I thought we (I feel I can say 'we', even though I don't plan to participate in any of the work) decided on the ceiling things (or is that for the living room)? Now we're back to plates? Well, I do think the idea of plates is perfect for the dining room, so you have my blessing (which you needed, I'm sure). However... if you put a plate of the queen, or any member of the royal family, on your wall I am officially never coming over again!

The White City Project said...

Uh oh, better pack away the Princess Di collection :) Yes, this is for the dining room, ceiling medallions are for the living room. I hope the finished product(s) are worthy of you taking credit for! lol