When I first started buying home furnishings, it was back when every piece had to be made from (or at least look like) cherry wood, all the hardware was brushed nickel, and everything had to be a shade of either taupe or beige: it was all so matchy-matchy. The coffee tables matched the bed, that matched the armoire, that matched the kitchen table, that matched the kitchen chairs...well, you get the idea.
I am happy to say that my tastes have evolved since then. I am anti-matchy-matchy, anti-brushed nickel, anti-faux wood, anti-looks-like-every-other-house-on-the-block. I want my home, and the furniture in it, to be comfortable. I also have a desire to re-purpose as many pieces and materials as I can. This saves me money, granted, but it also makes me feel like I'm doing a little bit to help reduce waste and give new life to something long forgotten, and that's a good thing!
Because we have a formal dining room, the table in the kitchen will likely not play host to any fancy shmancy dinner parties. It will, however, play host to some very important tea parties with the little girls I am blessed to have in my life, it will be a homework station, be a location for arts and crafts (including messy, messy, lord-help-me-it's-messy playdough), serve as the occasional food prep centre, sewing table, and buffet counter. Basically, it has to be durable. It HAS to be.
I was sure that what I wanted existed. And it does. It's made by a fantastic company called The Lorimer Workshop. At $1075 USD however it is yet another item that is far beyond my budget. A girl can dream though, right? This is my inspiration though, perhaps I might become brave enough to attempt to build my own...if I can find a pile of old wood no one's using, that is.

No comments:
Post a Comment