Sunday, December 29, 2013

I Love When it Looks so Festive 'Round Here

Ok, Ok, I know I;m a few days late...but time has a way of  getting away from this chick these days.

No lie, folks. I begin to plan my Christmas tree themes/colour schemes in early October. A tad obsessive, yes. I get so inspired by all of the beautiful trees and decorations out there in the blogosphere that I can't help myself.

This year is bittersweet for me. It will be the first Christmas since my mom passed away and I will miss our little traditions, most of which revolved around obsessing about our Christmas trees!

My mom just loved the attention I gave to my trees, and it revved her up to beautify her own tree. Every year we'd go ornament shopping and hit up all our favourite out-of-the-way boutiques and shops, always spending far more money than we intended to. My mom would not-so-subtly gather intel on the theme I was working on and buy ornaments that matched, then "surprise" me with them at the end of the day. I always knew what she was up to, but she enjoyed doing it so much I couldn't bear to ruin her fun. She'd take home her own new treasures and carefully select the perfect place on her tree for each of them. It was always an awesome day, and I will miss spending it with her.

Onto happier thoughts....

This year's main floor tree is new; a 7 1/2 ft flocked tree from Martha Stewart. I've wanted a flocked tree for a few years now so decided to finally go for it.


I have never done a tree in blue, and decided it was about time. My sister often does her tree in shades of blue and I am always struck by how pretty it looks.

In the interest of full disclosure, this is the scene when I decorate a tree.First, approval by the kitties, then the massive sort. Mr. Mel typically makes himself scarce for this process, as my OCD goes into full effect!


Almost 500 decorations, 5 hours (plus or minus another 30 mins to vacuum up the flocking that was everywhere)...and this is the finished product, I hope you like it. My only regret here is that I should have used a ribbon or garland. But, despite that, I am so happy with my blue tree!

 

And for my mom, a memorial angel...



No comments: