Friday, April 8, 2011

Itchy...But Worth It

Our last home had heated underground parking (le sigh) which I miss terribly. In the new house we are not so fortunate. However, the builders were forgetful kind enough to leave behind nearly enough fibreglass batt insulation to completely insulate the garage. You may not think so, but three packs of R40 insulation take up a tremendous amount of space in one's garage...ha ha. For over a year this rather overwhelming project had been on my massive "To Do' list, but I kept putting it off. Last November, though, Mr. Mel and I finally installed insulation in the garage!

 
 
 

I've gotta say that, considering I am terrified of heights, the 14' high walls didn't pose a huge challenge. We did end up having to pick up a little extra insulation to finish the walls but, even with the poly and acoustical sealant, this entire project cost less than $150!

We were so lucky to have November weather nice enough to complete it to this stage but, before we knew it...BAM...winter hit and I didn't have warm enough temps to do the poly. Now that the warm weather has returned, it's definitely on my radar to finish this up!

I still plan to insulate the ceiling, but it'll have to wait until my dad can bring over scaffolding and lend me a hand. Hip hip hooray for a toasty warm garage!

Please indulge me while I toot my own horn for a minute: I did 90% of this project BY MYSELF! Ladies, don't be afraid to tackle these kinds of projects! Do your research, plan your project, and ask ask ask if you wanna know how to do something. I can't tell you how satisfying it was to see what I was able to accomplish! Yay me!

No comments: