Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Topping it Off

It's time to dress my kitchen window. I figured a simple valance would be best.


I am quite proud to say that every thing I used for this project were scraps or leftovers (I *knew* being a packrat would pay off someday). It took me less than an hour to whip this up, but it makes a HUGE difference.

I started by cutting the fabric I'd need, just a simple rectangle, I added extra so it would have a swag effect. I highly recommend a rotary cutter if you plan to do any sewing projects, they make quick work of cutting fabric. I lined the orange fabric with a funky quilted remnant I've had for years (in a previous life, this fabric was used on bedroom toss cushions). I didnt have to line this valance, but I figured I may as well...while I was at it. I pinned the fabrics together along each edge, with the right sides together. On the bottom edge I used some cording, on the top I used loops of ribbon - make sure to pin this *between* the fabrics.


I sewed around each edge, leaving a small part open at the top so I would be able to turn this piece right-side-out, then you can sew it closed.


If you don't want to sew the trim/edging on, go ahead and grab the glue gun...it works like a charm!

To hang it, I evenly spaced 4 nails on the wall. Then I hot glued decorative buttons onto the heads of the nails. Voila!


Total cost = zilch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute and gives me some inspiration for somthing over my kitchen window since it is "naked" at the moment.