Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Standing up to 'The Man"

As someone who recently discovered the joy and sheer satisfaction of DIY, I was overjoyed to stumble on Ana White's blog 'Knock Off Wood' a few months back. Ana is just like the rest of us who drool over the wares of Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate and Barrel but can’t (or won’t) pay their exorbitant prices…only she actually did something about it. Ana isn’t just a pretty face, she’s a genius. She set to work developing FREE woodworking plans for all of us to re-create those pricey catalog looks at a fraction, and I do mean a fraction, of the cost of retail!


Turns out her blog has caught the attention of big, bad corporate America and she has received an extremely comical, very official letter from the attorney (hilariously named ‘Pami’) for William Somona to cease and desist using their images and threatening her with copyright infringement.

I, for one, hope that Ana is able to continue her great work and not be intimidated by these corporate giants. It’s not about money, it’s about principle.

See Ana’s blog here, and take a gander, maybe offer a few words of support as well.

I, for one, vow here and now to never, ever shop at a William Sonoma affiliate…ever. I have zero respect for bullies.

2 comments:

MandeeFoFandee said...

oh, I'm so glad you posted about this! I saw her very official letter earlier and I couldn't help but laugh. I mean really, what can they do, as long as she changes the name of the pieces she's recreating? I love her work!

Gilsner said...

Girlfriend could stand to spend some money on a decent headshot, though. Or at least smile (proof the 'sexy pouty face' doesn't work for everyone, including Octomom) and cover up her bra (or at least show it off properly!). Unless she's going for the mug shot look, out of irony.

Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity and I'm sure it won't be long until we see Ana on HGTV. And considering the fact she's got a book on the way, I'm fairly certain she can afford her own lawyer.

Her site, though? Super awesome! (Almost) makes me wish I had a circular saw. Or used my planer more. And by 'more' I mean 'ever'.