Sunday, February 14, 2010

A punch of black

I have had this pair of candlestick lamps for about 10 years. When we got our first apartment together, Mr. Mel was living in another city, about 8 hours away, so he left all of the home decor shopping to me. I admit, I did indulge my girly desire for beads and glitz and, when he arrived to see all I had been up to, he was less than impressed with how - uhm - feminine everything was. He took a particular dislike to these lamps, and ever since then, cringes whenever I insist on using them in a room.



I have, reluctantly, agreed to revamp these lamps. It was the only way he would agree to have them in our living room. It's nothing spectacular, a coat of black spray paint and new shades and, bam, they are now much more - ahem - masculine. Mr. Mel is happy, I am happy. It's win, win!


I'm not sure about keeping the lampshades white. I think they need some colour. That's a project for another day (wink wink).

Here is the breakdown of costs for this project:
$6 for black spray paint
$6 for spray primer
$11 for lampshades
Total Cost = $ 23

2 comments:

Gilsner said...

You have a very good eye, my friend, for design. A career change may be in order!

Lauren @ withTWOcats said...

What a transformation! Great job