Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Start of Our Landscaping - The Plan

Like most things these days, my landscaping plans have been just another ball in the air. I have to remind myself that trying to do too many things at once usually means nothing ever ends up fnished, and you're probably not focusing enough on any one thing to have it done to it's fullest.

Now that I've put some business and personal stuff on the back burner, I can refocus on getting the yard started and on it's way to being my little piece of paradise.

I did a sketch of the yard as I'd like to have things laid out. Now might be a good time to consult your neighbours (if they, too, are doing their landscaping) to compare plans and make sure that your yards will compliment each other.

I made an accurate drawing of my yard plan with a trial copy of Smart Draw available online. It took some time to get the dimensions of everything right, but it was worth it so I can have a really  accurate plan moving forward. I could have used a local landscape planner but I wanted to save some $$ (they average $700 - $1,000) and, I'm not gonna lie,  I wanted the satisfaction of having done it on my own; but there is no shame in consulting a pro!

I revisited the plan every few weeks and changed things, tweaked things, added and omitted until I had a plan I was happy with and could work from. The plan is a general layout, and will likely have some items moved around, but it's a great jumping off point.


Now comes the tough part...prioritizing! If you're like me, the budget may not allow you to get the entire yard banged out in one summer. I had to decide what I wanted to do first, what was most important, and what could wait and be done next year, or even the year after that.

Priority #1: Hardscape. I decided that a must was my paved patio. It's a really large piece of the yard. Combined it will be about 700 sq ft. and is definitely the space we'll use most.

Priority #2: Fence. We don't need a fence, our neighours are pretty awesome, but you never know who may end up moving in next door. Good fences make good neighbours! In the end, it'll be easier to install a fence now, before all of the plants have started to mature, rather than later.

Priority #3: Gazebo. Because this is a large piece in the yard (approx. 8' x 8') I wanted to have it in place before I planted sod or worked out the exact dimensions of my perimeter planting beds.

Priority #4: Trees (and shrubs). I selected a variety of trees for our yard. Some are faster growing than others. Some will serve as shade trees, and some will be wind breaks. All, though, will provide privacy (something we are currently lacking) so I wanted to get these plants started as soon as possible. Be sure to make a list of the types of trees/shrubs you'll be using. This will help to avoid impulsive purchases which can not only be expensive, but may end up requiring you to rethink parts of your landscape plan.

That's basically the planning out of the way. We got to work pretty quickly, so I'll be posting progress pics soon!


No comments: