Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I'm gettin' out the tap shoes, I've got a floor!
Slowly but surely the house is coming together. They ran into a few issues with some beams and had to re-order them, which caused delays. But I am assured that things are back on track and framing should take about 4 weeks.

Let's go fellas...
With the cold weather closing in, I am hoping that framing of the house goes as quickly as possible. I just can't imagone these guys having to do that kind of work in the snow. This is as far as we've gotten...

Extra! Extra! We have a hole!
After countless delays, we finally have a hole...and a valid building permit! Now work can really get under way. There are still no services, but that doesn't prevent the contractor from moving forward. It's so exciting!

Hurry up and wait
Our new builder quickly got us on track. The plan is now finished, and has been approved by the developer. The lot is not ready for construction yet...so now we anxiously wait for their “go ahead”. The general mood out in White City right now both at the developer's office and at the Town Hall is one of confusion. No one seems to know what's going on when, or who is in charge of anything. We're stuck in the middle.

Let's get this party started!
We had a lot, we had a floor plan, it was time to interview for a new contractor. I was still bitter from the bad experiences with our first builder so went into the process with a huge chip on my shoulder. Reluctantly, I agreed to speak with a good friend of Dallas’s who had partnered with a general contractor and their company was looking for new projects. Long story short, we hired them. They have been awesome to work with and they are as excited as we are about the project.
Ah...it's good to have land!
Dallas got a crash course in real estate speculation and set off to acquire a lot. Without a builder to represent us, we were on our own in every respect. We were sure that we wanted to build outside of Regina, for both financial and esthetic reasons, and White City fit the bill. Because of the stiff competition for lots, the process is much like a lottery, if you get picked, you get a choice –often not you first choice – but a choice of lot none the less. We were lucky, we had 2nd right of refusal on our first choice of lot, and 1st right of refusal on a second lot. When it came time for us to select, we actually decided on our second choice lot! And just like that, we owned a rather large piece of, well, dirt!
Baby Steps...
There were some minor changes we wanted made to the original plan so we took it to our builder to have it re-drawn and to get a price quote. After much frustration, we chose not to pursue a relationship with the initial builder...but we did end up with a preliminary drawing that contained our changes...progress? It's hard to say if we're any further ahead than we were a month ago.

And so it begins...
Welcome to our site! Almost from the day that Dallas and I moved in to our first 800 sq ft apartment, we talked endlessly about the day that we would build our dream house...what it would look like, where it would be. When we moved to our 1900 sq ft condo, the conversations continued. We had big dreams, and knew that one day we would make it happen! After much thought, we’ve decided that now is the time to fulfill our dream and build our house!
Keep checking in, I promise to keep the updates coming.
Keep checking in, I promise to keep the updates coming.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)