Sunday, March 14, 2010

Third time's the charm

After shelling out for the living room drapes, sewing the bottom panels on for additional length, and hanging them I decided that I was going to take a break from curtain selection for awhile. The idea of stressing out for one more minute about window coverings was going to drive me bananas, moreso (wink wink).

Unfortunately, the time has come to select drapes for the dining room. I needed to buy something that, at the very least, co-ordinated with the curtains hung in the rest of the main floor. Off I went to Pier 1 to see what they had. On the first trip I hit gold (or so I thought). I picked up two of these babies and brought them home.


They. Looked. Terrible. Even Mr. Mel whose taste, to borrow one of my dad's favourite phrases, is all in his mouth *hated* them. He cocked his head to the side, mumbled of something I couldn't make out, and I knew that they wouldn't be staying. Off I went to make an exchange...and picked up a pair of these:


I was so sure, so cocky about my selection that I didn't even entertain the idea that Mr. Mel wouldn't go for these...until he took a look at them and said simply, "Terrible". Yep, back to Pier 1 (and this time made sure to bring the opinionated husband with me)...and finally found a winner. I decided to sew additional length onto these panels in this fun fabric my nephew picked out.


I am really pleased with how they turned out, and Mr. Mel is finally happy too!


Here is the breakdown of costs for this project:
$79 for curtains
$54 for curtain rod
$13 for fabric
Total Cost = $ 146

3 comments:

Becky said...

Where did you get the fabric for the bottom of the curtains? I love the extra fabric you added.

The White City Project said...

Thanks! I have to give credit to my nephew, he's never steered me wrong :) I bought it at Fabricland (not sure of the brand name though, sorry).

MandeeFoFandee said...

oh I love them - they look fabulous! the green fabric at the bottom is SO gorgeous!

I'm dying to add some extra fabric to the end of my living room curtains, but I don't own a sewing machine, and even if I did, I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it. I've seen those iron on hems... do you think something like that would work? feel free to send me an email!