Monday, September 19, 2011

Delish - Camp Food

Since I was a kid, I have been going camping with my family. I've always loved it. Mr. Mel and I have made camping a *huge* part of our summer, also. It's so nice to get out of the city, sit at the lake, go fishing, and have late night campfires and marshmallow roasts.

There is the standard camp food fare: burgers, weenies, beans, etc. and I have no problem with that. But, I like to stir things up a bit and often plan meals ahead that can be thrown into Ziploc bags and tossed into the cooler. Not all simple food has to taste simple!

This weekend, I brought a few of my favourite recipes...and I thought I'd share with you.

Easy Steak Marinade

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp of dried rosemary or thyme

Place 4 steaks (I use sirloin) ina large Ziploc bag. Wisk all ingredients together and pour into bag. Close the bag, getting rid of the air, and mush the steaks around a bit so they are all well coated in the marinade. Refrigerate for up to 2 days. 

Grilled Asparagus

1 bunch (10-12) asparagus spears
dash of salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Cut or break off the woody ends of the asparagus spears. Toss all ingredients together in plastic bag. Cook in disposable aluminum container (covered in tin foil) on BBQ set to "high", for 20-25 minutes.

No comments: