Saturday, June 11, 2011

More Floors

I hope I didn't have you believing that I was having even more work done on my floors! ::wink wink:: Nope, these floors belong to my parents, and it's about time they get updated!

Let me give you the skinny on the 'rents. They are, quite possibly, the hardest working people I know. Mom grew up the eldest of seven kids on a farm just outside of town. She was always hustling us three kids off to various activities and classes, attended university classes in the evening, all while working a full time job! She painstakingly hand stitched thousands of sequins on countless numbers of my dance costumes, noting that only lazy moms put them through the sewing machine! She taught me to read, to sew, and how to french braid. All valuable skills, right? 

In the past few years, mom has experienced a decline in her health but, always stubborn and self-sufficient, hates to accept help and would much prefer to do things on her own. Gotta respect that!


Daddio is a real character! There is no doubt that I inherited my pigheadedness and goofy sense of humour from him. He's one of those men that appear rough and tough on the outside, but is really just a big softy. My dad believes that women can and should do anything a man can, especially his daughters! From the time I was a wee one he taught me how to do everything from change a tire to build a shed. And thank goodness he did because I married a man who doesn't know how to do any of those things! He helped me buy my first car, and still comes with me when I negotiate on a vehicle...if only now to lend moral support, because he taught me well in the art of the deal! Dad is still working hard at a job he loves and takes alot of pride in, I honestly can't imagine the day he'd seriously consider retirement.


My parent's home was built in 1995. Right at the time when brass, white kitchens, and berber were all the rage. Well, now it's 2011 and the house is looking a bit dated. First thing to go? The black vinyl and blonde laminate flooring in the main floor! The floor long ago lost it's lustre and I never real did care for the laminate.


The main floor is open concept so the idea is to lay one floor throughout. Given that my parents have debated selling the house so weren't keen on spening money that they wouldn't get a healthy return on, we elected to go with another laminate, only a much higher end one than is there right now! Enter Vienna Laminate from Beaulieu Canada in Acacia.


I love that this laminate comes in a variety of widths. The 'rents chose to go with 5 1/2" wide planks, and the colour they chose is my absolute fave! I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the finished product, it looks amazing! Wowie wow, I cannot say enough about how far laminate products have come! Take a look for yourself...


The powder room still needs a new toilet, and the furniture needs to be put back, but it looks so awesome!

Mom and dad want to make some other improvements to the house, starting with paint. I can't wait to show you their projects!

No comments: