Mr. Mel and I drove through thunder, lightning, rain...and even hail to pick up these coffee tables that will be perfect for our master bedroom as night stands.
The corner trim of these tables is actually brass (yuck, anyone?) so I made sure that I primed them using a metal primer. For the rest of the table, I grabbed the bucket of Kilz and got to work.
Then I gave them two coats of CIL Lovely Lisa.
At Mr. Mel’s request, I glazed them with a glaze of CIL Black Mica and faux glaze. He told me he wanted the finish to be pretty heavy, so that's what I did. What an obedient wife I am! If you like the effect of glazing but are unsure just how to go about it, check out Glazing Furniture 101 at All Things Thrifty.
To finish them off, I gave them a coat of Varethane and new hardware. I think they look great up against the purple wall in our bedroom.
Here is the cost breakdown for this project:
$50 for the tables (a bit more than I wanted to spend, but they are solid wood and I had to have ‘em)
$12 for paint
$0 for glaze
$4 for metal primer
$7 for hardware
$19 for Varethane
Total Cost $92
5 comments:
i love that glaze it looks awesome - i haven't tried to do it yet but i have purchased all the things i need so now i just have to take the leap! Wish me luck! Great job!
Thanks :) Good luck with your maiden glazing project. Can't wait to see the results!
i prefer them in pure white, but then i'm into white everything...
meanwhile, our readers would love to learn more about glazing. so...
re. your tutorial on glazing: come link it up at our DIY/Craft TUTORIAL LINKY PARTY and get yourself a backlink from a pr3-4 site
till soon
I love them! I recently rehabbed a console table that had lots of details and grooves...the glaze makes a huge difference! Great job!
Those are cute. I agree with the husband on the glaze - more is better when it's a chunky piece I think. Good job!
Post a Comment