Sunday, June 17, 2012

Backyard Gazebo - Part 1

One item I was determined to get in the backyard somehow was a gazebo. Not huge. Big enough to accommodate a few friends and our bevies if we were unfortunate enough to be caught in an evening rain. Or big enough for Mr. Mel and I to veg out in with a couple of books to escape the hot afternoon sun. Although Mr. Mel insists that it's sole purpose is to host his weekly poker game! Men...ugh.

I had a wish list:
  • built in benches
  • electricity for lighting
  • privacy screens
We're lucky enough to have a couple of friends who are journeyman electricians, so one came to help me along to get the power pulled from the house, trenched, and connected to the gazebo.

I found a free plan for a square gazebo online (I am all about the freebies). I found this one at Treated Wood.


I called on my cousin to help me out with this project. He's built a gazebo for himself, and is pretty much an ace at anything carpentry, so I knew he was the right man for the job!
Our gazebo will sit on grade, instead of on piles or footings. We created a base at each corner, filled and tamped, and used concrete blocks that the corner posts will rest on. We have really stable, sandy soil so this base will work well.


All our supplies have arrived, and we set up shop. I was in power tool heaven!


We followed the building plan and, slowly, the gazebo started taking shape. We did end up making some modifications to beef up the structure as the wind out here can gust at 80 km/hr (that's about 49 mph for my American friends).

 
 
 

Installing the roof and shingles was definitely not something I wanted to do as I am totally, absolutely terrified of heights. Mr. Mel was excited to participate in this build, so took this on and he and my cousin did  a great job! 


I decided to switch up the railing design a bit to allow a bit more privacy. This involved using many wicked awesome power tools. It made me a happy girl!

It took a full weekend and a week of evenings to get this built, which was much longer than I thought it would take. But it's finally done! I can't wait to get to work decorating this space and use it as our little backyard hideaway. (P.S. those are, indeed, my deck stairs in the background...more on that later)


Lots of activity going on here lately. I'll post an update soon!

No comments: