Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday Somethin' Somethin'

Hello and happy weekend, everyone!

I am so groggy this morning from all the Good Friday dinner goodness I indulged in last night with my in-laws. Appies, pork tenderloin, and all the fixins...plus dessert! I think I may have actually slipped into a food coma afterwards!

This Saturday I share with you my love of the double staircase. Are these not the most dramatic way to welcome folks to your home mansion, or what?! Now, I am not so delusional to believe that I will ever actually have a home to accommodate such a staircase, but a gal can dream.

I am usually a fan of the traditional, so I tend to be drawn to ones with lots of wood and maybe ornate iron railings.






We've all seen this staircase in the news over the last few years. It used to belong to Candy Spelling, widow of Aaron Spelling. She recently sold her humble family home, Spelling Manor, to 24 year old Petra Ecclestone (daughter of a...wait for it...multi-billionaire) for a measly $85 million. If that isn't enough to make you hate this girl, she spent $millions$ more renovating!


Here is the before and after of Petra's new staircase.



I also stumbled on a few examples of more contemporary double staircases. Not my style, really, but a funky take on traditional.






I thought this version was really neat. It's at the Museum of Islamic Art in  the Qatari capital Doha.

Gotta a colossal budget (and house)? Take the double staircase outside!

I suppose it's possible to do a double staircase on my budget...


Oh, who am I kidding? THIS is likely more my budget!


And while it's not technically a double staircase (more like a split staircase) I thought I'd throw in the grand staircase from the Titanic, seeing as it's the 100th anniversary of it's sinking. The original and the recreation for the James Cameron's movie).


Thanks for stopping in. I hope you enjoy your Easter!

2 comments:

InteriorGroupie said...

Double stairways always remind me of my favourite movie of all time, the Sound of Music! It ends in a single stairway, but I love love love that movie, and the kids singing So Long, Farewell.

Jennifer said...

Ha! I can't say that I share your love, but your budget staircases made me LOL. :)