Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Rethinking Colour

There's been a few changes at the casa as of late, and I wanted to give you a peek.

While it pains me to do so, I am not afraid to admit when I've made a mistake. After all, we can't *always* be right!

When selecting the paint colours for the house, we made a conscious effort to depart from our comfort zone of earthy taupes and warm caramels and tans in favour of light, creamy pastels. At the time we saw the paint go on the walls, we were very happy with our choices. They were right on!

Benjamin Moore - Limesickle

Now? After two years in the house it's just not "us". The light colour in the main areas of the house don't have any warmth or substance, are much too "minty", and are difficult to co-ordinate with decor and furnishings. They don't give off the feeling that we'd like and remind me of The Golden Girls house (yeh, it`s *that* minty). So...it's time to right this wrong!

Enter: GREY! Off I toodled to Home Depot to get this painting party started.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I did this 100%, completely, totally without Mr.Mel's knowledge, consent or input. In fact, I waited until he was out of town on business before I tackled this little project. Sneaky, right?

I am starting this colour revamp with the dining room. I figure if I do this in stages, it's entirely possible that Mr. Mel (who always has a zillion things on the go) won't actually notice until it's almost all done! Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But worth a shot! I want the feeling of this room to be warm, moody, and (dare I say) dark. Simmer down, peeps, the window is HUGE in here and it gets loads of natural light, so it's gonna be just fine. Here is the dining room before:


Here is the dining room after:



I used Obsidian Glass by CIL in here and it's friggin' awesome! I gotta give props so my friend for using it in her home and inspiring me! I am so glad that I took the plunge and went with a dramatic colour. It's exactly what I wanted, and it's much more "us".

Same drapes, same artwork, same furniture. What a difference paint makes! I love how all of the details, trim, lighting all just pops off the dark grey.

I am now on the hunt for an area rug for this room. I need to break up all of that wood...it's nearly all the same shade! Oopsie. 

5 comments:

InteriorGroupie said...

Oh wow - that colour is phenomenal!! and I LOVE the maps on your wall - great room. I'm new to your blog but loving it - now your newest follower!

The White City Project said...

Thanks InteriorGroupie! I appreciate the comment and the follow! I look forward to your blog :)

Unknown said...

Wow-what a difference a color makes-your room looks so much richer-following you from TDC-stop on by for a visit!

Joanie said...

It is gorgeous!

Karen said...

The wall color really compliments the wood tone of your furniture. Drama is always good.