Thursday, November 17, 2011

Office Cabinet

There's a huge feeling of satisfaction that comes from upcycling or making over an old, neglected piece of furniture. But the same satisfaction can come from tweaking a new piece that just wasn't right when it came home from the store.

I bought this cabinet from Jysk on clearance for $150. It had the proportions that I needed to hold our office copier/fax and printer, and had some handy dandy storage. But it was a pretty blah colour. Just lacquered pine.


Mr. Mel had the clever idea to paint the pieces before I assembled this unit...gosh he's a smarty pants.


Mr. Mel gave them a light sanding (that's right, folks, I put him to work),  then I primed and painted with the same gallon of mistint paint I used on the cubby desk. Mr. Mel was itching to help, so I volunteered him to put it all together!


I replaced the hardware with a couple of knobs I had from an old dresser.


A quick update for a stock piece of furniture, and now she's all ready for business!

Cost breakdown for this project:
$150 for cabinet 
$0 for primer and paint
$0 for cabinet hardware
Total cost = $150


1 comment:

Comeca Jones said...

Found your blog via an older blog hop I'm a new follower! Btw the roof top condo was heavenly!